Cystistatin combines a unique botanical blend to help maintain a healthy urinary tract.
- Supports Healthy Microbial Balance in the Urinary Tract
- Helps Maintain a Healthy Mucosal Surface in the Urinary Tract
- Promotes Healthy Immune Function
- Promotes Hormone Balance
The role of the urinary tract is to produce urine, the carrier of waste materials from the bloodstream, and remove it from the body through the bladder and kidneys. Bacteria can enter the urinary tract through the urethra or, more rarely, through the bloodstream. Women are generally at greater risk of this occurrence.
Cystistatin is a unique botanical blend formulated to promote a healthy urinary tract. One of the key ingredients in Cystistatin is uva ursi extract, which is standardized to include 20% arbutin. Arbutin, particularly when combined with berberine sulfate, provides a powerful combination to help maintain healthy microbial balance in the urinary tract and bladder. In addition, marshmallow root soothes bladder and urinary tract discomfort. Celery seed extract and bladderwrack leaf are also included in Cystistatin for their ability to act as a natural diuretic.
Marshmallow root is a traditional irritation-relieving herb with a long history of use in coating the gastric lining through its mucilage polysaccharides, which swell when mixed with liquid. This provides a soothing property to mucous membranes.9 The irritation-relieving activity of marshmallow root results in thepromotion of a healthy mucosal surface in the urinary tissues and membranes. Additionally, the German Commission E has approved the use of marshmallow root for promoting a healthy inflammatory process within the gastric mucosa.
Celery Seed Extract†
Part of the same family as carrots, parsley and fennel, celery seed has been used for centuries and is still in use today for its soothing and microbial-balancing qualities.10 Research has also demonstrated that celery seed increases urine production, resulting in a flushing of the urinary tract.11 Celery seed has been shown to reduce the membrane integrity of various microbes.12-13
Bladderwrack is a perennial seaweed found along the shores of Europe and America that has been used to support urinary health. Bladderwrack has been used historically to naturally flush out urinary passages. It also promotes normal levels of inflammation in the bladder.
1-2 capsules three times per day or as recommended by your health care professional.
Does Not Contain
Gluten, yeast, artificial colors and flavors.
Do not consume this product if you are pregnant or nursing. Consult your physician for further information.
1. Jahodar L, Jilek P, Paktova M, Dvorakova V. [Antimicrobial effect of arbutin and an extract of the leaves of
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi in vitro]. Cesk Farm. Jun 1985;34(5):174-178.
2. Moskalenko SA. Preliminary screening of far-eastern ethnomedicinal plants for antibacterial activity. J
Ethnopharmacol. Mar 1986;15(3):231-259.
3. Annuk H, Hirmo S, Turi E, Mikelsaar M, Arak E, Wadstrom T. Effect on cell surface hydrophobicity and susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori to medicinal plant extracts. FEMS Microbiol Lett. Mar 1 1999;172(1):41-45.
4. Park SF. The repression of listeriolysin O expression in Listeria monocytogenes by the phenolic beta-D-glucoside, arbutin. Lett Appl Microbiol. Oct 1994;19(4):258-260.
5. Beaux D1, Fleurentin J, Mortier F. Effect of extracts of Orthosiphon stamineus Benth, Hieracium pilosella L.,
Sambucus nigra L. and Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. in rats. Phytother Res. 1999 May;13(3):222-5.
6. Bertil Larsson, Aino Jonasson, Stefan Fianu. Prophylactic effect of UVA-E in women with recurrent cystitis: A preliminary report. Current Therapeutic Research. Volume 53, Issue 4, Pages 441-443, April 1993.
7. Sun D, Abraham SN, Beachey EH. Influence of berberine sulfate on synthesis and expression of Pap fimbrial adhesin in uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 1988;32(8):1274-1277.
8. Sun D1, Courtney HS, Beachey EH. Berberine sulfate blocks adherence of Streptococcus pyogenes to epithelial cells, fibronectin, and hexadecane. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1988 Sep;32(9):1370-4.
9. Engels, G. Marshmallow. HerbalGram. 2007;(75):1-5.
10. Newall C, Anderson L, Phillipson J, eds. J.Herbal medicines: A guide for health-care professionals. London: The Pharmaceutical Press; 1996.
11. Celery Seed. Integrative Medicine Access
12. Johnston L. Urinary Tract Infections http://www.scitherapies.info/uti.htm.
13. Zhou Y1, Taylor B, Smith TJ, Liu ZP, Clench M, Davies NW, Rainsford KD. A novel compound from celery seed with a bactericidal effect against Helicobacter pylori. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2009 Aug;61(8):1067-77.