Alpha Base® is a comprehensive, hypo-allergenic, multivitamin and mineral blend. As a complete multivitamin, Alpha Base® provides high-quality nutrients to build a healthy micronutrient reserve. USP* B vitamins support energy production and folate (as QuatrefolicTM – 100% 5-MTHF), the biologically active form of folic acid, improves methylation. Albion® TRAACS® chelated mineral complexes enhance bioavailability. Alpha Base® includes an optimal 2:1 magnesium to calcium ratio. Key antioxidant vitamin C, natural vitamin E mixed tocopherols and carotenoids protect cells from free radical damage. Alpha Base® also contains the synergistic blend of vitamin K2 (as MK-7) and D3 which are critical for supporting bone strength and cardiovascular health.
Nearly half of adults in the U.S. and 70% of older adults ages 71+ take a vitamin; about one-third of them use a comprehensive multivitamin pill.  But is this truly a necessity? There are certainly diseases caused by a lack of specific nutrients in the diet. Classic examples include scurvy (from a lack of vitamin C), beri-beri (vitamin B1), pellagra (vitamin B3), and rickets (vitamin D). But these conditions are rare in the U.S. and other developed countries where there is generally more access to a wide range of foods, some of which are fortified with vitamins. Individual vitamin supplementation may also be essential in certain cases, such as a deficiency caused by long-term poor nutrition or malabsorption caused by the body’s digestive system not functioning properly.
Who May be at Risk for a Nutrient Deficiency?
For those who eat a healthful diet, a multivitamin may have little benefit. A diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, good protein sources, and healthful fats should provide most of the nutrients needed for good health. But not everyone manages to eat a healthful diet. When it comes to specific vitamins and minerals, some Americans get less than adequate amounts, according to criteria set by the National Academy of Medicine. For example, more than 90% of Americans get less than the Estimated Average Requirement for vitamin D and vitamin E from food sources alone. 
Certain groups are at higher risk for a nutrient deficiency: in these groups supplementing with a multivitamin is recommended.
- Older age. The elderly are at risk for poor food intake for various reasons: difficulty chewing and swallowing food, experiencing unpleasant taste changes caused by multiple medications, or isolation and loneliness that can depress appetite. They also have trouble absorbing vitamin B12 from food. The National Academy of Medicine, in fact, recommends that people over the age of 50 eat foods fortified with vitamin B12 or take vitamin B12 pills that are better absorbed than from food sources. 
- Pregnancy. Getting enough folate, a B vitamin, is especially important for women who may become pregnant, since adequate folate can help lower the risk of having a baby with spina bifida or anencephaly. For the folate to be effective, it must be taken in the first few weeks of conception, often before a woman knows she is pregnant. Yet in the U.S., half of all pregnancies are unplanned. That’s why the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that all women of childbearing age (ages 15 to 45) consume 600 micrograms a day of folic acid.  This amount and other important nutrients for pregnancy—iron, calcium, vitamin D, and DHA—are available in a prenatal multivitamin.
- Malabsorption conditions. Any condition that interferes with normal digestion can increase the risk of poor absorption of one or several nutrients. Examples:
- Diseases like celiac, ulcerative colitis, or cystic fibrosis.
- Surgeries that remove parts of digestive organs such as having a gastric bypass for weight loss or a Whipple procedure that involves many digestive organs.
- Illnesses that cause excess vomiting or diarrhea can prevent nutrients from being absorbed.
- Alcoholism can prevent nutrients, including several B vitamins and vitamin C, from being absorbed.
- Certain medications. Some diuretics commonly prescribed to lower blood pressure can deplete the body’s stores of magnesium, potassium, and calcium. Proton pump inhibitors prescribed for acid reflux and heartburn can prevent the absorption of vitamin B12 and possibly calcium and magnesium. Levodopa and carbidopa prescribed for Parkinson’s disease can reduce the absorption of B vitamins including folate, B6, and B12.
Reasons to use a multivitamin:
- I am eating a limited diet or my appetite is poor so that I am eating less than usual.
- I am following a restricted diet for longer than one week. This could be prescribed such as a liquid diet after a surgical procedure, or a self-imposed diet such as on with the goal of weight loss.
- I have a condition that reduces my body’s ability to absorb nutrients (celiac disease, ulcerative colitis) or have undergone surgery that interferes with the normal absorption of nutrients (gastric bypass surgery, Whipple procedure).
- I temporarily have increased nutrient needs, such as being pregnant.
- I’m very busy and just can’t eat a balanced diet every day.
It is well-established that good nutrition promotes health, while nutritional deficiencies can lead to many health challenges. Yet, many people underestimate the importance of achieving proper levels of micronutrients each day. For the human body to complete vital daily tasks, it must be given a wide and complex variety of key micronutrients. Micronutrients play a role in strengthening immune function and converting food into energy. They detoxify chemicals and medications, and manufacture neurotransmitters, hormones and other key signaling molecules in the body. Micronutrients also maintain tissue repair and cell regeneration. Becoming deficient in any one of these essential vitamins or minerals can create a breakdown metabolic processes that safeguard health.
Comprehensive studies conducted by the United States Department of Agriculture have revealed the average American diet lacks micronutrients. Nutritional deficiencies may be caused by poor nutrient levels in the soil, food transport and storage methods, and food processing techniques. In addition, deficiencies can also be caused by highly processed and refined foods, food additives, medications, alcohol consumption, smoking, heavy metal exposure and high stress levels. Whatever the reason, nutrient deficiencies exist in a substantial portion of the U.S. population and, for select nutrients, more than 80% of Americans consume less than the recommended daily allowance (RDA).1,2 Although recommended nutrient intakes (e.g., %DV, DRIs, EARs, RDAs) have been established as minimum guidelines for healthy individuals, these guidelines were not designed to address the micronutrient needs of all individuals, especially those with chronic health concerns. While these guidelines can help prevent a severe nutrient deficiency, standards such as the RDA are not a reflection of optimal daily intake. For these reasons, a daily multivitamin is a prudent choice for most individuals. Alpha Base® is a superior multivitamin designed to support the ideal daily intake of vitamins and minerals by providing a high- quality source of nutrients in the most bioavailable form.
The importance of bioavailability is obvious. If consuming a multivitamin has little effect on improving the body’s nutrient balance, there is no reason to ingest it. Inferior multivitamin supplements often contain synthetic vitamin E in a dl-tocopherol form. Alpha Base® contains natural d-alpha tocopherol, as well as mixed tocopherols, to enhance vitamin E availability and its free radical scavenging potential.3 Another sign of an inferior multivitamin is the use of cheap, poorly- absorbed, rock-salt minerals like calcium carbonate and
magnesium oxide. These mineral forms have slow and limited absorption relying on adequate stomach acid to promote passive diffusion into the body.
What’s more, because they remain in the intestines longer, these forms can cause intestinal distress such as constipation (calcium carbonate) or diarrhea (magnesium oxide).
Alpha Base® provides a full spectrum of highly absorbed, Albion® mineral chelates. Albion® is the world leader in manufacturing highly bioavailable mineral chelates, a specialized form of minerals bound to amino acids. This patented process creates natural mineral compounds which use active absorption mechanisms in the gastrointestinal tract to significantly enhance mineral absorption. Comparison studies show significantly superior absorption of mineral chelates over other forms of minerals.
In a magnesium comparison study reported by Graff et al. at Weber State University, Albion’s® magnesium amino acid chelate had (See Figure 1): 3
• 8.8 times greater absorption than magnesium oxide
• 5.6 times greater absorption than magnesium sulfate
• 2.3 times greater absorption than magnesium carbonate
In a clinical study comparing calcium absorption in humans, Albion’s® patented calcium chelate delivered the greatest absorption of all calcium sources tested (44% Absorption – See Figure 2).4
In addition, mineral chelates are gentle, gut-friendly minerals that do not cause the constipation that often accompanies calcium carbonate and other mineral forms. Albion’s® mineral chelates have extensive clinical research proving their superior bioavailability, biologic activity, stability and tolerance.
Metabolism & Energy Production†
Converting food into cellular energy is a nutrient-intensive process. Alpha Base® provides substantial levels of B vitamins, which are prime coenzymes for the Kreb’s cycle, the biochemical pathway responsible for maintaining energy production in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate). Alpha Base® exclusively uses high-quality, USP* grade B vitamins ideal for those looking to boost their energy levels and support stressful lifestyles. Alpha Base® also contains the bioavailable form of folate (QuatrefolicTM – 100% 5-MTHF). 5-MTHF helps promote DNA repair, homocysteine balance, neurotransmitter production, hormone balance and healthy detoxification.
Broad Spectrum Antioxidant Support†
The body is constantly exposed to free radicals and relies heavily on its antioxidant reserve for protection. Free radicals are generated by metabolic by-products and environmental exposure such as UV rays from the sun, air pollution and radiation. Alpha Base® contains a balanced spectrum of antioxidant vitamins such as vitamin C, mixed carotenoids, trace elements and nutrients that up-regulate antioxidant- supporting pathways in the body. They work synergistically to regenerate each other and maintain adequate levels of protective antioxidants throughout the body.
*The USP is a scientific organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality and purity of medicines, food ingredients and dietary supplements, manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide.
4-8 capsules per day with food or as recommended by your health care professional
4 capsules per day with food or as recommended by your health care professional.
Does Not Contain
Gluten, yeast, artificial colors and flavors.
If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your physician before taking this product.
Block G, et al. Vitamin supplement use by demographic characteristics. Am J Epidemiol 1988;127:297-309.
National Research Council, Diet and Health: Implications for Reducing Chronic Disease Risk (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989).
Devaraj S, Leonard S, Traber MG, et al. Gamma- tocopherol supplementation alone or in combination with alpha-tocopherol alters biomarkers of oxidative stress and inflammation in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Free Radica Biol Med 2008;44:1203-1208.
Graff et al. Magnesium: wide spread benefits. Albion Research Notes 1992; 1(2):1.
Calcium: Heaney RP, Recker RR, Weaver CM.
Absorbability of calcium sources: the limited role of solubility. Calcif Tissue Int 1990 May;46(5):300-4.