Reverse T3 (RT3 or REVT3) is a biologically inactive form of T3. Normally, when the liver converts T4 to T3, it also produces a certain percentage of RT3. When the body is under stress, such as during a serious illness, it tries to prevent many tissues that depend on T3 from being metabolically active by producing more RT3 than T3. This is believed to be a way of conserving energy until the stress is relieved and it causes a syndrome called non-thyroidal illness (NTI). RT3 may also be elevated in hyperthyroidism. Use of the RT3 test remains controversial within traditional medicine, however RT3 in the area of Functional Medicine and Natural Thyroid Treatment, It is invaluable, especially when you calculate the T3/RT3 ratio. Here is Dr Hagmeyer explaining some of the common causes behind elevated RT3.
Learn more about the 10 Steps To Supporting Your Thyroid Naturally Here
Other Articles People Have Found Helpful
- The Causes Behind Poor Thyroid Conversion. Dr Richard Hagmeyer
- Two Antibody Tests Needed For Hashimotos
- Natural Thyroid Treatments
- 10 Reasons Why It Seems Impossible To Stabilize Your Thyroid.
- Natural Thyroid Treatment|Action Steps to Overcome Thyroid Weight Gain- Dr. Richard Hagmeyer
- Hair Loss? Heart Palpitations? Fatigue? Weight Gain? It Could Be Your Thyroid… or Worse
- The Complications of Hypothyroidism