Skip to content
Vegetable and Bison Chili
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 2 lbs Bison or beef stew meat, cut into 1″x1″ chunks
- 2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) cans diced green chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 of a (4 oz) can diced jalapenos
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow zucchini, diced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 4-6 large kale leaves, shredded
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- green onions for garnish
- 1 small can full fat coconut milk (placed in the fridge for a few hours)
- Heat large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add coconut oil and onion to pot and brown slightly.
- In A Separate dish, combine chili powder, sea salt, cumin and garlic salt. Roll Bison or raw beef stew meat in the mixture to coat on all sides.
- When onions have browned slightly, add Bison/Beef and brown on all sides.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Fill the empty can with water and add to the pot.
- Add green chilies, jalapeños, mushrooms, carrots, oregano, thyme and bay leaf.
- Turn heat down to medium and cook for about 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and red pepper, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add kale and finish cooking for 10 more minutes.
- Season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve with sliced green onions, fresh cilantro and a dollop of thickened coconut milk from the top of the can.